Friday 1 February 2013

THE BARD

THE BARD


 
    There existed a bard
And when he sang, people
Stopped all they had and
Did and listened
For he could
Captivate like no other.
Th stories he told rang
In people’s heads, resounded
In their hearts
And reflected
In their deeds, and so
Great was his prowess
At telling stories, he wove
In character and fantasy and
life and what not that new worlds
would take root, and
capture people and swallow them whole.
So magical were his worlds, and
Since there were so many
He had many names and
Many faces
And many tongues and
Many more lives and all
Of them captivated
Someone or the other
And he never failed to have
An audience ever
Even in silence.
But so many were his stories,
So many were
The lives he wove into them
That no matter how
much one studied
No one knew them all
And yet they felt they did
For so tight were his stories
That no one escaped their snare
You either knew them, or didn’t
You either liked them, or didn’t
You either believed them or didn’t
You either bothered or didn’t
No one escaped his snare.
Now I am not like the bard.
For I can neither create nor captivate
And I certainly
Do not have an audience.
I write this
With the buried yearning
Of a writer Who hopes
To once be read
And understood, just once,
I don’t rhyme my words
I don’t have wit
Nor do I have depth
I have neither drama
Nor realism, nor romance
Not flighty light heartedness
No hidden meaning
Nor implied, heavy symbolism
I don’t use a meter
No established formula
That guarantees your book’s sale
I don’t even have a good story, for god’s sake
Yet I just write.
But I’m typing, right?
And as I type,
I’m also thinking
Of all those people,
Whose writings have
Become landmarks,
That no one could reach.
Why so? I wonder.
Most of them are mystifying
Perhaps that’s the
Source of their charm.
And so they captivate
And eventually are
All bits and pieces
Of the bard’s own stories
Floating around
Maybe a story less
Person like me
Is a drifting piece too…
Who knows?
I could ramble on for ever
As only a drifter can
But I think I will stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment